Tell someone who can help.

Members of the public have an important role to play in helping to protect children from harm.

If you think a child is being abused, or at risk of being abused, tell:

    These agencies can help.


You should not try to sort the matter out yourself, or confront an alleged abuser.

Do not worry about being mistaken. It is better to tell someone who knows about protecting children than it is to say nothing.

What if a child or young person tells me that they're being abused?

  • Show that you are listening and that you are taking the matter seriously.
  • Write down what you have heard using the exact words where possible.
  • Explain that you will need to share what you have been told with someone who knows about protecting children.
  • Ring Social Services, the Police or the NSPCC and tell them what you know.

What should I do if I am worried about someone's behaviour towards a child or young person?

  • Don't dismiss your concerns or leave it to someone else to take action.
  • Ring Social Services, the Police or the NSPCC and tell them what's worrying you.
  • Who Should I contact?

If you have any doubts about sharing or reporting your concerns, Speak Out. Don’t think what if I’m Wrong – think what if I’m Right!

Multi-agency referral form

If you are a professional or practitioner please complete the form below. Please note the Regional Safeguarding Board does not deal directly with these reports/referrals, these need to be forwarded to the local authorities as shown below.   

If you are a member of the public, you do not need to complete these forms, please contact your local authority as below. 

If you are concerned about the safety or wellbeing of a child, contact:


  • During Office Hours:
  • Central Referral Team – Tel: 01554 742322, Fax: 01554 742176
  • Email:
  • Outside of Office Hours: Careline – Tel: 01558 824283 & 0300 333 2222.


  • During Office Hours: Contact Centre – Tel:  01545 574000, Fax: 01545 574002
  • E mail:
  • Outside of Office Hours: Emergency Duty Team – Tel: 0300 4563554


  • During Office Hours:  Assessment Team – Tel: 01437 776444  
  • Email:
  • Outside of Office Hours: Emergency Duty Team – Tel:  0300 333 2222

[doctors on call answering service take social services calls for out of hours].