Reporting concerns about an adult

What can I do if I am worried about an adult (anyone over the age of 18yrs)?

Tell someone who can help.

Members of the public have an important role to play in helping to protect vulnerable adults or adults at risk from harm.

If you think a adult is being harmed or abused, or someone has told you they are being harmed or abused, tell:

These agencies can help.

Safeguarding Adults

You should not try to sort the matter out yourself, or confront an alleged abuser.

Do not worry about being mistaken. It is better to tell someone who knows about protecting vulnerable adults than it is to say nothing.

Help Woman
What if an adult tells me that they're being abused?
  • Show that you are listening and that you are taking the matter seriously.
  • Write down what you have heard using the exact words where possible.
  • Explain that you will need to share what you have been told with someone who knows about protecting vulnerable adults.
  • Ring Social Services or the Police and tell them what you know.
What should I do if I am worried about someone's behaviour towards a vulnerable adult?
  • Don't dismiss your concerns or leave it to someone else to take action.
  • Ring Social Services or the Police and tell them what's worrying you.
  • Who Should I contact?

If you have any doubts about sharing or reporting your concerns, don't think what if I'm wrong - think what if I'm right!


Please see the below form and supporting information on how to complete the form.

CWMPAS Multi-Agency Referral Form (MARF) - Updated March 2023
Adults MARF Supporting Information

If you are concerned about the safety or wellbeing of a vulnerable adult, contact:


  • IAA service on0300 333 2222 by Minicom on: 01554 756741 or by SMS on: 07892 345678 or make a referral through our website 


  • During Office Hours: Contact Centre – Tel:  01545 574000, Fax: 01545 574002
  • E mail:
  • Outside of Office Hours: Emergency Duty Team – Tel: 0845 6015392


[doctors on call answering service take social services calls for out of hours]


Powys People Direct:

Action on Elder Abuse

Action on Elder Abuse (AEA) Cymru is a specialist charity committed to preventing abuse against older people. As the only charity in Wales to focus solely on elder abuse, we have the expertise and the experience to support victims, their families and those who care for them.

Helpline number: 080 8808 8141


The Silver Line

The Silver line is a 24 hour free confidential helpline founded by Esther Rantzen providing information, friendship and advice to older people.  Open every day of the year.

Phone: 0800 4 70 80 90



Talk to Samaritans any time you like, in your own way, and off the record - about whatever's getting to you.  You don't have to be suicidal.

Phone: 116 123               Email: