Reporting concerns about an adult
What can I do if I am worried about an adult (anyone over the age of 18yrs)?
Tell someone who can help.
Members of the public have an important role to play in helping to protect vulnerable adults or adults at risk from harm.
If you think a adult is being harmed or abused, or someone has told you they are being harmed or abused, tell:
- Social Services on the numbers below
- The Police on 101
- Action on Elder Abuse Cymru on 080 8808 8141 or
- one of the organisations below.
These agencies can help.
IN AN EMERGENCY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS RING 999
You should not try to sort the matter out yourself, or confront an alleged abuser.
Do not worry about being mistaken. It is better to tell someone who knows about protecting vulnerable adults than it is to say nothing.
What if an adult tells me that they're being abused?
- Show that you are listening and that you are taking the matter seriously.
- Write down what you have heard using the exact words where possible.
- Explain that you will need to share what you have been told with someone who knows about protecting vulnerable adults.
- Ring Social Services or the Police and tell them what you know.
What should I do if I am worried about someone's behaviour towards a vulnerable adult?
- Don't dismiss your concerns or leave it to someone else to take action.
- Ring Social Services or the Police and tell them what's worrying you.
- Who Should I contact?
If you have any doubts about sharing or reporting your concerns, don't think what if I'm wrong - think what if I'm right!
CWMPAS Multi-Agency Referral Form (MARF) - Updated March 2023
Adults MARF Supporting Information
If you are concerned about the safety or wellbeing of a vulnerable adult, contact:
- During Office Hours: Contact Centre – Tel: 01545 574000, Fax: 01545 574002
- E mail: email@example.com
- Outside of Office Hours: Emergency Duty Team – Tel: 0845 6015392
- During Office Hours: Duty Team – Tel: 01437 776056
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outside of Office Hours: Emergency Duty Team – Tel: 0300 333 2222
[doctors on call answering service take social services calls for out of hours]
Action on Elder Abuse
Action on Elder Abuse (AEA) Cymru is a specialist charity committed to preventing abuse against older people. As the only charity in Wales to focus solely on elder abuse, we have the expertise and the experience to support victims, their families and those who care for them.
Helpline number: 080 8808 8141
The Silver Line
The Silver line is a 24 hour free confidential helpline founded by Esther Rantzen providing information, friendship and advice to older people. Open every day of the year.
Phone: 0800 4 70 80 90